One thing that constantly bothers me about the home education program that I’ve designed for the boys is that I’m not good on implementing art programs. I can drool over them, buy them, gather supplies….but when it comes to setting aside the time for art – well, I just stink at that.
This DVD includes over 250 minutes of art instruction and appreciation in which the boys completed three art projects, each demonstrated by a different artist. I really appreciated that different artists were included on the DVD – it added variety and diversity to the projects. (I really like it when competent male and female teacher can mentor my boys. I think it is important for boys to have teachers from both genders.)
Ideal for ages 6 and up (I have no trouble at all agreeing with See The Light’s age recommendation), the projects involves something really fun and different in art programs – a black light! When you are done with this, I guarantee that your children will be sitting in the darkest room or closet in your home for at least a half hour marveling at their artwork’s unique colors and shading because of the special fluorescent crayons, pencils and chalks used in the projects.
What’s Included: I mentioned that God’s Runaway DVD project included more than 250 minutes of art instruction – well, it is 268 minutes to be exact. The three projects include
- Lettering. I thought this was really creative – the kids drew fish shapes and practiced lettering within the water blast of the fish.
- Chalk Pastel scene. I really appreciate that the boys had the opportunity to work with more than just crayons, colored pencils and markers.
- Mixed Media. The boys used a Sharpie marker, paints and fluorescent colored pencils to create a really unique take away message from the Jonah story.
How We Used This: Really, using this See the Light project DVD couldn’t have been any easier than inserting the DVD and letting the boys follow along. I was able to find all the necessary art supplies at our local Michael’s except the fluorescent chalks – those I need to order through Amazon. Prices, however, through See The Light are really reasonable and comparable to prices that I found for our necessary materials.
Here are some of the special art supplies we needed for this project
Theoretically, you could use this project pack weekly over the course of a month and have a three art lessons and an art appreciation lesson as well via the the bonus features found on the DVD:
- -Watch as the original contemporary music performed by “Breathing Room” recording artists Jan Roper and Kevin Dukes while watching Gloria Kohlmann draw her remarkable art expression of this story.
- Watch and Hear The Plan of Salvation, clearly and creatively presented as you have never seen it. (7 minutes)
- Hear See The Light chalk artist Gloria Kohlmann’s commentary as you watch a story scene being created.
My recommendations & thoughts: My boys absolutely loved this product and have already asked for more art lessons from See The Light. I loved knowing that the boys were in good hands. Another great benefit of this program? I’ve seen LOTS more art pop up around the house since we completed the DVD:
It really has been a hugely inspirational product, and we’re so blessed to have used it.
Please check out other See The Light art projects packs – some of which are Bible stories, while others practice techniques of the great artists of our time:
Bible themes: God's Special Surprise (6+), Shipwrecked (6+) Dreams of Joseph (10+)
Art Themes: Cartooning (5+), Tiffany Window (10+), Repeated Sweets (10+), Paper Jungle (10+), Pointillism Fruit (10+), Poppy Collage (10+)
Click to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew